Fertility, Pregnancy, and Postpartum Mental Health
My specialty is helping clients navigate the complex emotional experiences that are part of becoming and being a parent. This focus is rooted in a deep understanding of how difficult each step of the journey can be, from fertility to birth or adoption to raising a child.
The challenges that come with conception, pregnancy, and parenting are common, but there are too few opportunities for open, honest, and empathic discussion of those challenges. I strive to create such opportunities in my practice to reduce anxiety, improve mood, and enhance overall well-being.
Although they are seldom talked about in public, difficulties related to fertility, pregnancy, postpartum, and parenting can lead to emotional distress and a variety of feelings such as frustration, loneliness, anger, anxiety, overwhelm, and despair. The following are common topics that people often find helpful to deal with in therapy:
- fertility treatment (medication, IUI, IVF)
- LGBTQIA+ conception
- medicalized pregnancy
- pregnancy loss including miscarriage, abortion, reduction, and stillbirth
- traumatic birth experiences
- the "baby blues"
- postpartum depression, anxiety, stress, and overwhelm
- identity and role transitions
- partner conflict
- motherhood, fatherhood, and single parenting
Click here for information and resources about these topics.